Thingiverse and try out a game. 2D print the boards, 3D print the paddles and pawns, and try out the game. Alternately paddles could be constructed with Popsicle sticks (2 with two marks on one side, 2 with one mark on one side, and a special one with one mark on one side and "2x" on the other). Then give it a shot and, if you could, answer the following questions:
- Which board did you try? (Jog in the middle/pads in the corner)
- Approximately how long did the game last? (Too long? Too short?)
- Did you understand the rules?
- Did you think the game was "fair" for both players?
- Was the game fun? Was there any highlight when playing where things went good? Did it drag on too long?
- Are you likely to want to play it again?
- Any suggestions for the rules?
- Does the game just suck and everyone is too polite to tell me?
Of course if you try both of them did either of them make the game more fun? Otherwise this will help me settle on which one I should choose.