After repairing the nozzle I thought I was back to producing dual prints, only to discover that the right extruder was still producing fragile messed up prints. I was lucky to discover that the right extruder fan had finally given out entirely. So I got a couple of nice new ball bearing fans from Digikey, also received another new heated build platform cable from Makerbot, so I decided to install them both at the same time.
same as last time, only it wasn't. I printed out the Replicator Board schematic and taped it on the inside for future reference.
For the fans I discovered a problem:
Man, these new fans are great. They came on and I didn't even realize it until I looked. Not a sound. At this point every cheap fan from Makerbot has been replaced with more expensive ball bearing fan that should last much longer, so hopefully I won't have to do this ever again. Tomorrow I'll test to be sure right right extruder is back to working.
it sure feels like I do a lot of repairs to my makerbot. I wonder if replicator 2X owners have the same experience.