Friday, July 13, 2012
Hacking... er... Improving the start.gcode
Most of this short adventure is documented on the makerbot user's google group including the resulting start.gcode edits.
I started out thinking that it needed to print something at the start so I would have it do a little logo that I could give away or at the very least not have a huge pile in my discard bucket. I considered a heart or smiley but in the end went with an asterisk since that's my logo for Cymon's Games. So I made a simple model, had ReplicatorG skien it, and copy/pasted the printing commands for the outline of the first layer from the generated gcode into my start.gcode. The result was... well, I didn't suppress the blob at the beginning so it didn't look much like an asterisk.
Then I realized, little logo coolness aside why did I need it to print anything. Again, multiple parts don't need it. So with my new found knowledge of gcode commands I simply inserted a single command that told it not to draw the line after it makes the blob. The result was exactly what I wanted. Pump primed and only a little plastic lost. Mission complete.
EDIT-Maybe not. Just did a print where I think I could have really benifited from a little more pre-extrusion. A lot of small details, report coming up.